Emergency Closing Information
During the winter months, employees are asked to plan accordingly for changes in driving conditions so we may continue to teach classes and provide valuable services to our students. Every effort will be made to clear parking lots and sidewalks to keep the campus open.
In the event of a major winter storm, a decision to close campus will be made before 6:00 a.m. and will be posted on the college's website. This decision will be reported to the Public Safety Department, to the following radio and television stations, and a message will be sent to the MCLA pop up announce and web page.
- North Adams Area - WNAW (1230 AM), WUPE-FM (100.1 FM)
- Pittsfield - WBEC (1420 AM), WBEC-FM (95.9 FM)
- Greenfield Area - WHMP (1240 AM), WHAI-FM (98.3 FM)
- Bennington, VT Area - WBTN(1370 AM)
- Albany, NY Area - WNYT, Channel 13; WTEN, Channel 10; WRGB, Channel 6
- Springfield Area - WGGB, Channel 40; WWLP, Channel 22
Stations/web pages listed above will provide the College's operational status as one of the following:
- Delayed opening with start time
- Closed for the day with evening classes cancelled
- Mid-day closing with evening classes cancelled
Text messaging to cell phones is available for those who sign up; to receive closing information via text message, see http://www.mcla.edu/notification .
In the event that the College closes mid-day, all departments will be contacted by phone, email announce, and text messaging with the closing information. We will also utilize the classroom intercoms and phone voice mail system. Should the College close due to inclement weather, all employees designated as "essential" or "snow day" personnel must report to work.
In addition to checking the web site for class cancellation information, students attending evening classes can also call the MCLA Cancellation Line which is extension 4399 for on-campus students and 413-662-5299 if calling from off campus. Faculty and staff should call 413-662-5284 for operational status.
Should you have any questions about this policy, please contact Jim Stakenas directly at 413-662-5245.